April 2011


DM

A Portuguese model accused of killing a celebrity journalist in a New York hotel ‘did not mean to admit to brutally attacking him for more than an hour and castrating him with a corkscrew’.

Renato Seabra wants statements in which he confessed to stabbing Carlos Castro in the face, slamming a computer monitor into his head and then stamping on his face, to be dismissed as evidence.

His defence lawyer David Touger told a court, ‘Maybe [it was] not his dialect of Portuguese’, about an interpreter who was brought in when the 21-year-old waived his right to remain silent.

 Allegations: Portuguese model faces charges of castrating and murdering a TV journalist in a New York hotel room in January

Evidence: Renato Seabra wants statements made to police to be dismissed as evidence in his trial for the murder of Carlos Castro

‘I don’t think he knowingly waived his constitutional rights,’ the lawyer said, adding that his client is mentally ill and is being held in seclusion on suicide watch at Rikers Island.

 Wearing a grey suit and a pale green shirt, Seabra appeared briefly at the hearing at Manhattan Criminal Court on Friday.

Court papers presented by prosecutors described a statement police said Seabra gave after the January 7 death of Mr Castro, 65, a well-known Portuguese TV journalist, while the two were on holiday in Manhattan.

The account depicted an argument in a hotel room that turned vicious and escalated into a prolonged hour-long frenzy, with Seabra first choking his companion, then stabbing him with a corkscrew in his face and groin.

Seabra also admitted to hitting Mr Castro on the head with a computer monitor and stamping on his face while wearing shoes, the papers said.

After the attack Seabra told police, he showered, put on a suit and left.

During Friday’s hearing, the judge granted the defence’s request to hold hearings on whether the police statements will be permitted as evidence.

Seabra he has pleaded not guilty to charges of second-degree murder.

Friends said the two men, who were on holiday together at the five star Intercontinental Hotel in New York, were a couple.

But after his arrest, Seabra allegedly told police he had killed Castro to get rid of his ‘homosexual demons’.

Seabra’s lawyer Mr Touger said the former model is surviving prison because his medications are ‘dulling his senses’.

‘He’s in jail, he’s medicated because of his psychiatric illness,’ he said Touger, before refusing to say confirm what Seabra suffers from. ‘I think he needs hospitalization.’

Seabra’s mother, Odí lia Pereirinha, who was at court, refused to speak to reporters..

The 21-year-old, Seabra, was a contestant last year on a Portuguese television show called A Procura Do Sonho, or ‘Pursuit Of A Dream’, which hunts for modelling talent.

Although he did not win the show, he gained a modelling contract with an agency founded by designer Fatima Lopes, who developed the show and was a judge.

Killed: Rosemary Turner, 83, was just opening front door to her neighbour when the large vehicle careered into her house

Brake failure? The driver of the car, Hari Dhakal, said he was trying to stop the vehicle just before the accident

BNS

An elderly woman has died after a Thursday night accident in which a sport utility vehicle, driven by a Bhutanese resettled in Worcester, MA, smashed through the front door of her Park Avenue house.

The Telegram & Gazette, a local news outlet in Worcester, quoted police as saying that Rosemary Turner, 83, of 182 Park Ave., died at UMass Memorial Medical Center — University Campus, just a couple of hours after the 2008 Nissan Pathfinder careened into her home.

The online further mentioned that a 53-year-old man standing in the doorway of the victim’s house suffered a broken ankle in the accident and was also taken to UMass Memorial. Police did not identify the injured man.

According to police, the driver, Hari Dhakal, 39, of Worcester, MA was not hurt. It is further reported that Turner was standing by the door with the male victim when the accident occurred. Police said the woman was pinned under the vehicle.

Police said Dhakal was traveling west on Institute Road about 8 p.m. when he crossed into the roadway’s intersection with Park Avenue; slammed over a traffic island, and into the house.   Investigators said that Dhakal told them that his brakes failed.

Police said the injured man had come to visit Turner and she was answering the door when the accident occurred. Police said alcohol does not appear to be a factor in the crash, but speed might be.

The Nissan was taken to Police Headquarters at Lincoln Square so the vehicle’s operational systems could be checked out.

An autopsy was scheduled for yesterday to determine the exact cause of Ms. Turner’s death. Officials said it took Fire Department personnel about 45 minutes to free the woman from the wreckage.

Mentioning the statement by witnesses, the Telegram & Gazette said that the Nissan was traveling at high speed down Institute Road when it failed to make the turn onto Park Avenue.

Despite repeated attempts, BNS could not confirm the details of the accident independently. BNS contacted some potential Bhutanese sources in Worcester, all of whom appeared unaware of the accident until the filing of this report.

Immigrant children whose parents are in the country illegally face an intensely personal struggle as they try to pursue their education — but should be encouraged never to lose hope, Colorado first lady Helen Thorpe told a national conference of educators Friday.

Continue Reading at The Open Borders Denver Rag

Courtesy Katie Pavlich

Yesterday a Tucson Unified School District board meeting was scheduled to discuss making the La Raza Studies, or the Race Studies, an elective in public schools rather than banning the program all together. The “ethnic studies” program was banned earlier this year because of the material being taught in the program. Instructors of the Raza Studies, also known as Mexican-American Studies, teach students that Arizona belongs to Mexico, to throw over the U.S. government to take back that land and trains students to do exactly what you will see in the following video. At 1:31, you will see Pima Country legal defender Isabela Garcia encouraging students to chain themselves to the chairs in the board room after they took it over. Her salary is paid with taxpayer dollars and she is also a leader of the radical open borders group Derechos Humanos.

The video is really, really disturbing and once again we see the Left unwilling to have a discussion and instead they shout, take over and shut down discussion and debate.

——————————-

As these reconquista march on our streets tomorrow, look for Old Glory. These anti-American Mexican fucks have been told that it looks better for their cause to wave the American flag instead of their Mexican flag.

DM

An Arab waiter at the Waldorf-Astoria hotel named Mohamed said he was forced to wear a name badge with ‘Edgar’ on it to stop guests being scared.

Mohamed Kotbi is suing the New York hotel for racism after he was asked to wear badges with different names on to prevent customers being frightened of being served by someone named Mohamed.

The Moroccan-born banquet waiter said he was first asked to change his name badge to one that said ‘John’ on September 11 2001, after the attacks on the World Trade Center.

‘I put it on. I was in shock,’ the Muslim man told the New York Post.

When Mr Kotbi, who has worked for the hotel since December 1984, complained to the hotel management, he was told, ‘We don’t want to scare our guests’.

He filed discrimination suits with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission in 2005 and 2009, and was given a name tag with his surname on it.

But in November, he was given a name badge that said ‘Edgar’. When he spoke to his manager, he was told, ‘It’s better to be Edgar than Mohamed today’.

Mr Kotbi is suing the hotel for religious and racial discrimination.

In court documents, he accuses the hotel of creating a ‘hostile work environment’ and failing to stop bullying from colleagues.

He alleges that he has been repeatedly called ‘terrorist’ and ‘al Qaeda boy’.

Mr Kotbi said: ‘It’s like I’m guilty, like I did the attacks on September 11.’

Lawyer Jonathan Bell said his client is a ‘family man’ and ‘can’t afford to just up and leave’.

The hotel declined to comment.

The other day Paul O’Neill said that . . .

Oh, wait. I suppose I ought to explain who Paul O’Neill is. A decade ago, he was President Bush’s first Treasury secretary. I have no very clear memory of him except that he toured Africa with Bono and they were photographed in matching tribal dress looking like Colonel Qaddafi’s Mini-Me twins at a Tripoli sleepover. Other than the dress-up fun, I’ve no idea why they were in Africa, but you paid for it, so I’m sure there was a good reason.

Continue Reading

11Alive

Obstruction charges against the woman accused of punching an Atlanta policeman at a Buckhead restaurant over the weekend have now been upgraded, a police spokeswoman confirmed.

   Ashley Leavell is now facing a felony count of obstruction, in addition to several other misdemeanors.  She can be seen in several online cellphone videos punching Atlanta police officer Jose Vidal, as he tries to make an arrest at the IHOP restaurant. 

   Vidal is also seen punching Leavell, before placing her under arrest with the assistance of a second officer.

   “The lady started grabbing him,” said Tanika Hudson. “I guess she scratched him, so he pushed her away to try and get her off of him, and she drew back and she punched him. So then in self-defense he hit her back.”

   Hudson has seen the videos online and may actually be in some of them. That’s because she was there, watching the drama unfold.

   “And the lady who had nothing to do with it (Leavell), she reached out, and I think that’s when she scratched him,” said Hudson. “And he shoved her back like ‘get off,’ and she reached back and punched him. She sucker punched him real hard. To me, it stunned him for a minute. And it kind of stunned me for a minute that (the punch) was from a female and she gave all she could.”

   Hudson, an employee at the IHOP, says if the patrons had left when they were asked to by the officer, the altercation would have been avoided.

   “They were so loud, they were over all the noise that was in there. All he did was come over and ask them to quiet down, and they got belligerent, saying ‘We don’t have to’ and screaming and yelling and cussing.”

   “He was not wrong,” she added. “He was in the right. And the I think the women should be prosecuted, because you do not lay hands on an officer when he’s trying to do his job.”

  An  Atlanta police spokesman says officer Vidal has been assigned to desk duty while the investigation continues. The police chief has said he wants to have the  investigation wrapped up within ten days.

MIAMI—Stepping up his demand to change the nation’s immigration laws, President Barack Obama on Friday promised graduates at a vast, multicultural community college that he’ll keep working to help students not legally in the U.S. to become American citizens.

The president’s renewed endorsement of the DREAM Act, which has become a rallying cry for Hispanic and other students around the country, drew enthusiastic applause from more than 3,000 graduates of Miami Dade College at their commencement ceremony. The students are part of an increasingly important political constituency in a state that will be crucial to the president’s 2012 re-election hopes. Continue Reading

 

In a pants-on-fire moment, the White House press office today denied anyone there had issued threats to remove Carla Marinucci and possibly other Hearst reporters from the press pool covering the President in the Bay Area.

Chronicle editor Ward Bushee called the press office on its fib:

Continue Reading

Next Page »